Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Right Door

A year ago, I was looking at myself dressed in black and wearing my cap on. Only a magic wand is missing and I could be a self-proclaimed wizard. It was just like yesterday. It's the day when all the hardworks of our educational life has been paid off. The feeling was so ecstatic. We made it. We made it together. That last step in the ladder of education was so fulfilling. It has been almost 15 years perhaps that we spend our lives in conquering the challenges that hinder us to reach the final step. And on that final step, we thought it would be over, and I guess that's what the commencement was all about. That final step led us to a bunch of doors. Which door will I open? Or what door will open for me? I guess the mind boggling tests are not yet over. Yes, it's not yet over. Every door led you to another door. This time it's different. Every step won't take you to the next step. It's like a steep and narrow ladder without handrails. One wrong move, you may fall. But once you get up, you don't need to take a step one at a time to advance.

Now, one year after that very day you reached the peak of the ladder, have you chosen the right door? I'm asking myself, didI make the right choice?

Looking back on the ladder that you almost spent your life with, what have you learned? One step will take you one step higher. All that we learn? That's what we need for us to get to the next step, until we reach the final step. Now, it's not only what you have learned that you will use to pick up the right door.

Back to zero. No scores, no grades, no reviews, no turning back. All are surprises. You are your own teacher, and it's full of practical exams. Cheating has no more use. It's all up to you.

Going back to the question. Have you chosen the right door? Well, I've realized that all the doors are meant for you to choose from. All the doors will still lead to a common door. It's just the way on how you will reach the final door. It may not be easy at start, but you'll learn from it. So there's no wrong or right choices. It's still on how you deal with the challenges that you will encounter ahead.

No comments: